Skip to main content

I'm trying to apply for a refugee travel document (i-131) and I have a question.

Houston, TX |

*sorry for resubmitting*
Hello, I'm trying to apply for a refugee travel document (i-131) and I have a question.
I left iraq in 2007 and lived in jordan.
In jordan I applied for refugee to the US.
I'm currently in the US and have a white card (i-94) and I have a family emergency in Jordan so I need to return there for a month.

So in part6 of the application, question number 1 says : "Country from which you are a refugee or asylee".
Could someone explain the question to me.
Meaning, do I write Iraq or Jordan as the answer to that question in the application?
thank you in advance.

Attorney Answers 3


It depends on what you put on your refugee application. My guess would be iraq. It would be best to consult an immigration attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree



Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

14 lawyers agree


The question refers to the country you would need refuge from, so probably Iraq.

You may want to get some advice before you travel, especially if you do not have your green card yet, so you are fully prepared for your trip and do not put your status at risk. If money is an issue, you could always check with your resettlement agency for information and/or an agency offering immigration legal services, like some Catholic Charities, local area legal aid organizations, etc.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics