I'm traveling to Colombia next month, will I be detained at JFK AIRPORT/ NY-USA due to my past criminal history, THANKS!!!!!

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

Resident since 1980, Arrested in 15/27/95 and 07/08/97

1995 Dispositions:
charges PL 220.03 00 am Criminal possession of a controlled substance (dangerous Drug)
pled guilty-$100 fine conditional discharge for one yr. (WAS RESIDUE OF COCAINE)
VTL 1192.2 02 UM- PLED GUILTY-REDUCED TO VTL1192.1 01 (I)
VTL 511.1 01 UM- PLED GUILTY- FINE $225 (PAID) 1YR. COND DISCHARGE
VTL 1163 00 I IMPROPER TURN N FAILURE TO TURN--COVERED BY VTL 1192.1 01 (I)
VTL 1192.1 01 I OPERATING VEHICLE IMPAIRED BY ALCOHOL- PLED GUILTY- FINE$300- 1 YR COND DISCHARGE, 90 DAY LICENSE SUSPENSION

1997 DISPOSITION:
ASSAULT 2ND DEGREE PL 120 .05 02 DF
IMPRISONMENT= 6 MOS + 5 YR. PROBATION, RESTITUTION $3, 152- PAID
PRISON TERM WAS ACTUALLY 4 MOS. FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR

Thank you so much for your help.

Sorry for bad description, will i have problems upon -re-entering into NY/JFK USA? I just renewed my permanent resident card on March 1 and 12 yrs. prior to that also did my renewal without a problem.
Doesn't the "Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996" help out my case(s) before 1996? after all, my cases were in 1995... thanks

1. Alfredo Lozano

Pro

7

Answered . Your criminal history is extensive. Your best bet is to speak to an immigration attorney in person with all of your criminal records in hand so he/she could review them. Short answer, most likely with drug convictions, you will probably be detained. PLEASE go see an attorney before you leave the U.S.

2. Arkady Bukh

Pro

5

Answered . It is likely that the drug charges will cause concern and you may be detained. However, you might also post this question in the AVVO immigration law section as many of those lawyers have a lot of experienced with these issues concerning criminal charges and immigration issues.

3. Christopher Irvin Simser

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that this question is best opted in the Immigration Law section. It would be best to use the answers you find there to locate an attorney experienced in that area of the law that you can consult with in person.

Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
    Anelli Xavier
    269 West Jefferson Street
    Second Floor
    Syracuse, NY 13202
    Q
    1-800-DWI-TEAM