I'm the victim of a hit and run and I was taken to the emergency room. Should I get a lawyer?

No attempt to stop made by other driver who ran a stop sign. License plate of other driver found by police. I currently have pain in various parts of my body. My car was badly damage and maybe totaled.

Newark, NJ -

Michael A Ferrara Jr

Michael A Ferrara Jr

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Cherry Hill, NJ

If other driver is not identified, you can make a claim against your own insurance company. This assumes you have UM, Uninsured Motorist coverage. If the driver is identified, then you may have a claim depending on the severity of your injuries. Most likely you have the Limitation on Lawsuit option on your policy and precludes any claim unless you have a permanent injury. Good luck. There are some good AVVO lawyers in your area that you should consult.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Seattle, WA

Yes - do not hesitate to contact a qualified personal injury attorney.

Patrick X Amoresano

Patrick X Amoresano

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Hackensack, NJ

New Jersey Personal Injury - Hit and run Auto accident:

You should consult with an attorney right away to protect your rights. Even if the other driver isn't found, or doesn't have insurance, you may still be able to make a personal injury claim if you or a relative in your household has auto insurance. Every New Jersey Auto Insurance policy provides coverage for accidents caused by uninsured motorists and "phantom" drivers who flee the scene and are never found.

Michael Shemtoub

Michael Shemtoub

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

Yes you should immediately contact a local attorney.

James Alexander Abate

James Alexander Abate

DUI / DWI Attorney - Westfield, NJ

You should get an attorney and he/she can dilligently keep on the police about their investigation.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364

You should definitely look towards retaining an attorney. Especially if your vehicle was totaled. You can put a claim in through your insurance company only if you have uninsured motorist coverage. If you would like to discuss it further feel free to contact me at:

James@jamesvasquezlaw.com

Charles William Franklin

Charles William Franklin

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Orlando, FL

Report this to your insurance company and immediately seek the advice and counsel of a local personal injury attorney. Hopefully the license plate will identify the other driver and their insurance company, however, you may still have a claim if you carry uninsured motorist protection and/or collision coverage.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

A lawyer can go after your UM. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30% with no costs deducted, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Robert W Rubinstein

Robert W Rubinstein

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Trenton, NJ

Yes. Most important-if you are hurt, go to the doctor and get yourself better. Assuming your car was insured, your medical bills are covered by your auto insurance. Your property damage will also be covered under your policy (with a deductible). If the police locate the other car from the plate and it is insured, that company will pay the property damage. If your injuries warrant it, you can make a personal injury claim through your uninsured motorists coverage under your policy or, if the driver is located and insured, their insurance policy. Feel free to call us for a free consultation (609) 392-7600.

Yolanda Navarrete

Yolanda Navarrete

Personal Injury Lawyer - Morristown, NJ

Yes, an attorney will protect your rights and you don't have to pay him unless you are compensated. Good luck to you.

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Rutland, VT

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.