Skip to main content

I'm supposedly the father of a child born in IL. I live in CA. Can I file for a court ordered paternity test in CA?

Los Angeles, CA |

I live in California. I had a relationship with a girl who was working in California for a few months. She got pregnant then moved back to Illinois and had the baby in Illinois. I am supposedly the father and now she will not let me see my kid. My name is on the birth certificate. I would like to get a court ordered Paternity Test and establish Child Support/Custody. Can I do that in a court in California or will I have to go or hire an attorney in Illinois to do so?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Only the court with jurisdiction of the child (the last place the child lived for six months or if not six months was born). So only Illinois has jurisdiction and can order paternity.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation.



Would I have to physically travel to IL or could I hire an attorney in IL to file the paperwork for me? I am on dialysis and cannot travel.

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus


Wait for them to gain jurisdiction over you.


Illinois as that is where the child lives, unless the mother agrees to one, and then how do you confirm that she used her and the baby's saliva?

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.


Unless the child was conceived in CA, IL has jurisdiction

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not intended to serve as a legal advice in your specific circumstances. This response is a legal opinion based solely on facts represented and you should not rely on this legal opinion as a legal advice. You still need to consult an attorney directly to fully protect your legal rights.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer