I'm stuck with a $40,000 medical bill what can I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Gatos, CA

In November of 2012 my wife got laid off and we had cobra coverage for 6 months through her company. I was already 65 years old and didn't know that under cobra I had to sign up for medicare part B.I thought coverage would be the same as while my wife was working, but I guess it only counts as a supplemental insurance. I had cataracts done and now the hospital is charging me $40,000! I talked to the actual doctor that performed the surgery and said even if people didn't have insurance to perform the surgery would only be $5000. How do I get my bill reduced to a reasonable price?

1. 2

Answered . Hire an attorney to negotiate the bill to a reasonable amount. Many of us offer a free initial phone consultation and can offer a strategy to try to get the medical facility to lower their bill.

2. 1

Answered . It sounds like you need to negotiate with the hospital and tell them you spoke with the doctor who performed the surgery and indicated if they knew you didn’t have insurance the bill would be $5000. Agree to pay the $5000 as a suggested reasonable price by the doctor. Since you didn’t have insurance, otherwise it will end up in the courtroom

3. 2

Answered . Best bet is to have a local Los Gatos lawyer negotiate it down.