I'm stuck with a $40,000 medical bill what can I do?

Los Gatos, CA |
Filed under: Employee benefits

In November of 2012 my wife got laid off and we had cobra coverage for 6 months through her company. I was already 65 years old and didn't know that under cobra I had to sign up for medicare part B.I thought coverage would be the same as while my wife was working, but I guess it only counts as a supplemental insurance. I had cataracts done and now the hospital is charging me $40,000! I talked to the actual doctor that performed the surgery and said even if people didn't have insurance to perform the surgery would only be $5000. How do I get my bill reduced to a reasonable price?

Best bet is to have a local Los Gatos lawyer negotiate it down.

Hire an attorney to negotiate the bill to a reasonable amount. Many of us offer a free initial phone consultation and can offer a strategy to try to get the medical facility to lower their bill.

It sounds like you need to negotiate with the hospital and tell them you spoke with the doctor who performed the surgery and indicated if they knew you didn’t have insurance the bill would be $5000. Agree to pay the $5000 as a suggested reasonable price by the doctor. Since you didn’t have insurance, otherwise it will end up in the courtroom

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.