I'm seeking advice in order to quit my job with "just cause"

Asked over 1 year ago - Plainfield, IL

I have complained previously of being placed in a classroom that was not meeting state licensing requirements for teacher:child ratios.

Last week I was placed in an infants room (my daughters room, but she was placed in another class at the time). Again the room was at 5:1 ratio and I was told to call the other teacher if it gets "too crazy". Eventually the assistant director placed the other teacher in when children were waking up.

I don't feel comfortable leaving my daughter in a room that is not held at state ratios.

I can't afford to work and pay child care at a different center. They have cut my hours as well, which makes it difficult to pay my insurance, child care and gas to go to work.

They have denied my child care that I pay for by citing policies that do not exist. I was not given compensation for the care they denied for two weeks, when they were unable to find a company policy that they were enforcing.

*since then they have cut my hours (beyond overtime that other employees are getting their hours cut) when they know I need to pay for my daughter's child care. They have floated me around and now tell me I am not doing my job in my classroom. I find it difficult when they are moving me around and cutting my planning time (and not other employees). I feel she is retaliating against me for going to HR about her enforcing a policy that did not exist.

My boss has told me I changed since having my daughter after returning from fmla maternity leave. To the point telling me she would have to lay someone off and it wouldn't be the other prek teacher.

They have put me in other classrooms when I stated upon being hired that I would not quit my past job for any other room than Prek. They are telling me if I refuse to work any other job I am going to be fired for insubordination.
My boss is making it very difficult for me to stay. Do I have any rights to leave with just cause?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to consult in person with an employment attorney. Your questions are too complex for this simple Q&A forum and more details are needed to provide guidance. Go see one or more lawyers. Bring any paperwork you might have.

  2. Jeffrey Morris Jacobson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you contact a government agency, then they can't fire you for whistle blowing. Otherwise, there is nothing that prevents them from firing you.

  3. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . "Whistle-blowing" is a far narrower and more limited legal protection than most non-attorneys understand, and it is often determined only after-the-fact to be inapplicable to a specific employment circumstance. No one should act in any manner that risks their employment in reliance on the expectation that they are protected as a whistleblower without first obtaining skilled and experienced legal advice, just as Ms. Goldstein has cautioned.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,512 answers this week

3,270 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,512 answers this week

3,270 attorneys answering