I'm searching for an Employment attorney with a background in ADA discrimination and retaliation that will accept payments.

Asked over 1 year ago - Pendleton, IN

I just received my Right to Sue notice in July 2013 so I'm needing an attorney that gives free consultations, won't hold my financial status against me but will still fight hard for me. My case involves employment ADA discrimination and retaliation that I filed with the EEOC in Oct. 2012. I would like to consult with, possibly retain if a Federal lawsuit in the Southern District is filed before the 90 days. I will explain my case in greater detail during a consultation. I don't pretend to know employment law, because through all of my research pertaining to my case, employment law is not easy. I have a lot of proof that with proper representation my case can be clearly presented. Any assistance is much appreciated.

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Answered . If you are having trouble finding an attorney for your case, there are several possibilities:

-- you are not looking in the right place for the right kind of attorney;
    -- your case does not have as much value as you think; or
    -- you are not presenting your case in a way that makes sense to the attorneys.

Employment attorneys want certain information right up front: the name of the defendant, the name of the employee; if the employee was fired (or denied reasonable accommodation, or laid off, or whatever the issue is, in five words or less); the date this happened; the reason the employer gave for whatever happened; how long the employee worked for the defendant; what job the employee did; how much the employee made; and any deadline.

You can find a plaintiffs employment attorney on the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) web site www.nela.org. NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys representing working people. You can search by location and practice area. Also, NELA has affiliates in every state and many cities which are listed on the NELA site. Not all NELA attorneys are named on the web site or affiliate site. This should not influence your selection; attorneys can choose whether or not to purchase a listing in the national directory, and each affiliate has its own rules for listing.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.