Skip to main content

I'm retired Army and spent $10K of my GI Bill to a school i believe was a fraudulant academy -COAGS in Mesa, Colorado. Litigate?

Grand Junction, CO |

I need a lawyer to help me get my GI Bill money plus expenses back from this fraud. I have enough proof to start a case i believe, with witnesses, i just don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a five minute consultation so here's the basics: Neither myself or the instructor are located in the american red cross database so he didn't teach us CPR legally and i can prove it. He made us watch get-rich-quick pyramid scheme videos so he could make more money from us. We had to do his slave farm labor because he was short-staffed. Our certificates are bogus and this guy is already in other lawsuits for fraud. Will anyone help a veteran in need? I need a Colorado Litigation lawyer please!!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. To be blunt, what makes you think the unlicensed instructor who is currently embroiled in multiple lawsuits has any money to pay a judgment even if you get one? Further, I gather from what you have posted that you don't actually have funds to pay for the costs and work necessary to pursue the case? A consultation will not cost you thousands of dollars, but pursuing litigation will. The case you outline is unlikely to be appealing to any private attorney.

    Have you tried contacting the Veteran's Administration and the Colorado Attorney General's Office? Those would be the best (and least expensive) places to start.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

  2. Call your state bar association and request a referral or use the avvo 'find a lawyer' option to locate an attorney. Best of luck to you.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

  3. I would suggest that you search for a Colorado attorney on, the Colorado Bar Association web page, using its attorney search page.

    The information that is placed in this response is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Thomas P. Howard, Esq., nor is it intended to be relied upon as a replacement for legal advice from an attorney.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics