I'm renting a house for a one year. The owner stated he would fix things in the house. He has not, what can I do?

Atlanta, GA |

I've been here for four months and I have pictures of the house prior to moving in and it is still the same. Ant infestation, waterbugs infestation and rotten wood on the exterior of the home. He would not fix anything in the home. I've paid my rent on time, have not been late. I do not want to break my lease. I've written him and also told him about the property. He will not do anything. What can I do without breaking my one year lease agreement?

1. The first thing that you must do is determine definitively whether you or the landlord are responsible for the damages / repairs that you are complaining of. If anything is your responsibility (such as pest control), then the landlord will not be required to respond to your complaints/requests.

If an issue is the landlord's responsibility, you have a few options for addressing it. One option would be to file a complaint against the landlord asking a judge to issue an order that requires the landlord to repair the problems. A second option would be to repair the problems yourself and deduct the cost of the repair from your rent. If you intend to exercise the repair-and-deduct option, you must first notify the landlord of your intent to do so and give the landlord an opportunity (a reasonable amount of time) to fix the problems.

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.