I'm renting a house. Sump pump failure caused damage to my personal property. My renter's insurance paid the claim but........

Asked over 1 year ago - Rahway, NJ

They only paid up to the maximum amount available on my policy . This payment only covered about 30 percent of my provable losses.

Is the landlord ( or his homeowners policy) responsible for the rest? If so- what is the best way to expedite credit for this? Ask him to submit a claim to his insurance company or ask for rent abatement due to the malfunction of HIS equipment? The landlord has a track record of ignoring home maintenance issues and doing shoddy repairs without permits and often without licensed professionals when required by law to do so.

Additional information


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Sandra A Joseph

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A LL is not responsible for your personal stuff. Moreover, if the pump did not work because of lack of power it was out of your LL's control.

  2. Matthew R Schutz

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Can you show that the sump pump failure was LL's fault or he was aware of the problem?

  3. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . How did the sump pump fail? Bad unit or power failure due the hurricane Sandy? If it was due to Sandy I do not think you will be successful in suing your landlord. If a bad unit then contact a local attorney.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,693 answers this week

2,961 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,693 answers this week

2,961 attorneys answering