Skip to main content

I'm receiving support for my daughter, if my ex gets married to someone who already has 4 children does my support amount lower

Taylorville, IL |

My ex is marrying a person who has four children of their own coming into their marriage and will all be living with the two of them. Does the care of these step-children decrease the amount of child support being paid to me for our daughters care. Thanks K. A.

Attorney Answers 2


Your ex is responsible for his children, not for his stepchildren. Your support will only change if his income changes. Even if your ex has children with the new spouse, there will be no change in your child support amount.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree




Thank you so very much for your response, greatly appreciated! :-)

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


You are welcome.


No you will get the same child support. The four stepchildren are not his and he is not legally responsible for them. If he tries to pay you less take him to court for contempt.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics