I'm receiving a workers comp death benefit and want to apply for ssid. Does ssi offset death benefit?

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

I was told by social security I have within 7 yrs of my husbands death to apply

1. Clifford Michael Farrell

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Yes there is a setoff. If you are talking about Social Security disability, there may be ways to reduce or eliminate the offset. But, for that, you should ask your workers' comp lawyer for some advice, or meet with an attorney who is familiar with both workers' comp and social security.

Sounds like you are seeking disabled widow's benefits - if you are between the age of 50 and 60 and your husband has not been deceased for mkore than 7 years you may qualify. It's the only benefit from SSA that has a 7 year rule.

This is more reason to meet with an attorney who does workers comp and Social Security - - to make sure you gtet good advice.

You may contact your local city, county or state bar association to see if they have a lawyer referral program, or you may contact your local legal aid office if you cannot afford an attorney.

You may also contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) for the name and email address or telephone number of attorneys in your area. The telephone number for the lawyer referral service of NOSSCR is 1-800-431-2804. NOSSCR's website is www.nosscr.org.

In addition, you can find a Board certified specialist in Social Security by contacting the National Board of Trial Advocacy. They evaluate lawyers (independently) in many types of claims and require extensive experience and testing before a lawyer is certified. They have a section specifically for Social Security: The National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy, Divisions of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.

Their link is: http://www.nblsc.us/

2. Judy Greenbaum Croy

2

1

Answered . There can be an offset. You should definitely contact and attorney in your area who is familiar with both workers' compensation and SSDI who can advise you as to your specific situation.

3. Jeremy Lyle Bordelon

Pro

2

Answered . Please see my answer to your other posting of this question.