Skip to main content

I'm pregnant, and was involved in a rear end accident. I was not at fault, what should I do?

Atlanta, GA |

I did not go to the hospital at the scene due to only my knees hurting . The following day my neck and lower abdomen were starting to hurt as well . Also my unborn was not as active and movements are not as strong . I went to the ER and the baby heart rate was normal and my x - ray was good but mi still in pain . In going to my OBLONG today to check on the baby in more detail .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 13


Many people just like yourself do not feel the real effects of an auto collision until the following days. You are smart to have gone to the ER and make an appointment with your OB/GYN to make sure everything is okay with your child. I highly recommend you consult with an attorney quickly. No doubt the other driver's insurance company will be calling you shortly. I'd also suggest not talking with them until you can speak with an attorney first.





Okay, well, you need to be under the continuous care of one or more medical doctors to ensure you & your baby's well being. Then you need to consult with an attorney to make sure that you take the necessary steps to recover fair & reasonable damages for the accident. There are many attorneys available, including myself, who could assist you. I would contact someone. My office # is (404) 303-8875. I hope you feel better.

Sam Levine, Esq.





I agree with the posts above. The most important issue is your and your baby's health and it sounds like you are taking those steps. You do need to report the wreck to your insurance company if you haven't already. You should speak to a personal injury attorney before you speak to the other driver's insurer.





It is fairly common that a person in a wreck like this one will not experience pain for some time after the wreck. Insurance companies may try to say that a person isn't hurt because they didn't beg to be taken by ambulance to the Emergency Room, but juries understand usually that not all injuries are obvious right after a wreck. I'm very glad that you and your unborn child are getting checked out by your physician,.
There are a few things you should consider, such as notifying your insurance company of the wreck (so you comply with your uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage requirements), using your Med Pay coverage if you have it, and taking photographs of the scene and the vehicles.
You may want to call an attorney who handles these types of cases in Georgia to get more specific advice about this case and the many insurance issues and deadlines, etc. I wish the very best for you and your child.

Jarome E. Gautreaux
Gautreaux & Adams LLC


I've dealt with several cases where women have been in an accident while pregnant. Hopefully, your doctor will tell you today that all is well. However, there is no question that you will have added worry and stress to your pregnancy as a result of this wreck. Some of my clients who were in your shoes told me that they continued to worry about the ramifications from an accident until they actually saw and held their healthy baby. Those are damages the other party's insurance carrier should take into account.

You've already gotten several good responses from lawyers in your area. I hope you will let one of them do what they do well. Best wishes to you and your baby.


You should keep getting full medical care as the effects of an auto accident are often hidden for a few days. Additionally you should see a lawyer to be sure you are properly compensated for your medical bills and such additional amounts as may be appropriate. I'd be glad to set up a free consultation (404-768-3509). Do not talk at all to the insurance company without a lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Sorry for your situation. Consult with an attorney right away. Go to the "find a Lawyer" tab and look for a qualitified attorney in your community.


You definately need to speak to an attorney today and not ANYONE from ANY insurance company. Let your lawyer take it from here. You have enough to deal with already.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.


Many injuries manifest later. You would need to retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer. Thus, don’t get hurt twice by paying a huge fee. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. You can access my Legal Guides through my profile page.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


First and foremost I am sorry to hear about you and your unborn baby's recent wreck. I hope you both recover soon.

I would recommend going to your doctors and getting an attorney, as others have mentioned, but I just wanted to outline why its so important that you do both.

Under principles of negligence law, you are entitled to recover for the damages that are caused by the negligence of another person. This means your lost wages, medical bills (not just your copays, the whole bill), and your pain and suffering are all things you can be compensated for.

On top of that, your measure of damages cannot be reduced if you are in a fragile state and require unusual amounts of treatment to recover for your injuries. Therefore, additional visits to your OBGYN and any subsequent injuries (god forbid), that your baby may suffer are all recoverable under Georgia's "Eggshell Skull" doctrine.

I'd recommend getting an attorney with experience in handling these cases at trial. Very few personal injury attorneys in Atlanta or otherwise actually litigate these cases anymore. You may have to fight long and hard to get all that is entitled to you and your unborn child, but it's worth the fight.

Feel free to call my office if you wish to discuss this further.

Answers to questions does not create an attorney/client relationship. I only am your attorney if I have entered into a written contract, signed by me, wherein I expressly assent to be your attorney. Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice to be acted upon, it is merely a legal opinion.


You need to hire a personal injury attorney. I am concerned that they gave you an x-ray while you are pregnant. I agree with the other answers that injuries from a car accident can come on days after the event takes place. You need to see your OBGYN and an orthopedist.


Document everything. Continue to seek medical treatment. Don't let any significant time periods pass where you don't seek ongoing medical treatment. Get a copy of the police report as soon as you can. Report this accident to your insurer. Make sure you report ALL symptoms and problems to EVERY medical provider and sure that your treating doctors note ALL complaints and problems with every body part and/or system that you are having problems with. Hire an experienced Georgia personal injury attorney (assuming this accident happened in Georgia) and have them on your side BEFORE you have any discussions or agree to give any statements to the other drivers' insurance company.

The above recommendations are just a few things that you should be doing as you seek to recover from your injuries. The main thing is to hire an experienced Georgia personal injury attorney as soon as possible so they can guide you through the claims process, ensure that your interests are protected, and ensure the protection and recovery of your health and that of your unborn baby.

I wish you all the best with your claim and medical recovery. If I can answer any additional questions, please let me know.

Timothy M. Klob
Klob Law Firm

Provision of information in response to this question does not create an attorney-client relationship and the questioner is encouraged to seek and retain legal counsel in order to discuss their question(s) further and directly with legal counsel. Respondent is licensed to practice law in Georgia before all Georgia courts for non-Federal matters with a primary focus on personal injury and workers' compensation. Respondent is also authorized by the Social Security Administration to represent claimants nationwide in Social Security Disability claims, and is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Northern Districts of Georgia and Texas, respectively, for federal matters including judicial review of Social Security matters. The questioner is advised that some responses on this site are provided by attorneys who are not licensed in the respective jurisdiction of the questioner, and any advice from attorneys on this site concerning state-specific areas such as workers' compensation by attorneys who are not licensed in the applicable and appropriate jurisdiction should be viewed as for general educational purposes and should generally be given lesser weight than responses by attorneys licensed in the governing jurisdiction. Response to this question further assumes that the questioner is not currently represented by counsel, and if this is not the case, then it is recommended that any further questions or concerns be directed to their current legal counsel.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer