I'm pregnant, and was involved in a rear end accident. I was not at fault, what should I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I did not go to the hospital at the scene due to only my knees hurting . The following day my neck and lower abdomen were starting to hurt as well . Also my unborn was not as active and movements are not as strong . I went to the ER and the baby heart rate was normal and my x - ray was good but mi still in pain . In going to my OBLONG today to check on the baby in more detail .

1. Matthew Chase Swanson

Pro

16

Answered . Many people just like yourself do not feel the real effects of an auto collision until the following days. You are smart to have gone to the ER and make an appointment with your OB/GYN to make sure everything is okay with your child. I highly recommend you consult with an attorney quickly. No doubt the other driver's insurance company will be calling you shortly. I'd also suggest not talking with them until you can speak with an attorney first.

2. Henry David Bullard

Pro

14

1

Answered . I agree with the posts above. The most important issue is your and your baby's health and it sounds like you are taking those steps. You do need to report the wreck to your insurance company if you haven't already. You should speak to a personal injury attorney before you speak to the other driver's insurer.

3. Jarome Emile Gautreaux

Pro

13

1

Answered . It is fairly common that a person in a wreck like this one will not experience pain for some time after the wreck. Insurance companies may try to say that a person isn't hurt because they didn't beg to be taken by ambulance to the Emergency Room, but juries understand usually that not all injuries are obvious right after a wreck. I'm very glad that you and your unborn child are getting checked out by your physician,.
    There are a few things you should consider, such as notifying your insurance company of the wreck (so you comply with your uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage requirements), using your Med Pay coverage if you have it, and taking photographs of the scene and the vehicles.
    You may want to call an attorney who handles these types of cases in Georgia to get more specific advice about this case and the many insurance issues and deadlines, etc. I wish the very best for you and your child.

Jarome E. Gautreaux
    Gautreaux & Adams LLC
    478-254-4759
    www.theGAlawfirm.com
    blog: georgiatrialadvocate.com

4. Sam Louis Levine

12

1

Answered . Okay, well, you need to be under the continuous care of one or more medical doctors to ensure you & your baby's well being. Then you need to consult with an attorney to make sure that you take the necessary steps to recover fair & reasonable damages for the accident. There are many attorneys available, including myself, who could assist you. I would contact someone. My office # is (404) 303-8875. I hope you feel better.

Sam Levine, Esq.

5. Cory Holley Driggers

10

1

Answered . I've dealt with several cases where women have been in an accident while pregnant. Hopefully, your doctor will tell you today that all is well. However, there is no question that you will have added worry and stress to your pregnancy as a result of this wreck. Some of my clients who were in your shoes told me that they continued to worry about the ramifications from an accident until they actually saw and held their healthy baby. Those are damages the other party's insurance carrier should take into account.

You've already gotten several good responses from lawyers in your area. I hope you will let one of them do what they do well. Best wishes to you and your baby.

6. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

8

1

Answered . You should keep getting full medical care as the effects of an auto accident are often hidden for a few days. Additionally you should see a lawyer to be sure you are properly compensated for your medical bills and such additional amounts as may be appropriate. I'd be glad to set up a free consultation (404-768-3509). Do not talk at all to the insurance company without a lawyer.

7. John Arnold Steakley

6

1

Answered . You definately need to speak to an attorney today and not ANYONE from ANY insurance company. Let your lawyer take it from here. You have enough to deal with already.

8. Kevin Coluccio

4

Answered . Sorry for your situation. Consult with an attorney right away. Go to the "find a Lawyer" tab and look for a qualitified attorney in your community.

Pro

4

Answered . Many injuries manifest later. You would need to retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer. Thus, don’t get hurt twice by paying a huge fee. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  10. David Thomas Dorer

2

Answered . First and foremost I am sorry to hear about you and your unborn baby's recent wreck. I hope you both recover soon.

I would recommend going to your doctors and getting an attorney, as others have mentioned, but I just wanted to outline why its so important that you do both.

Under principles of negligence law, you are entitled to recover for the damages that are caused by the negligence of another person. This means your lost wages, medical bills (not just your copays, the whole bill), and your pain and suffering are all things you can be compensated for.

On top of that, your measure of damages cannot be reduced if you are in a fragile state and require unusual amounts of treatment to recover for your injuries. Therefore, additional visits to your OBGYN and any subsequent injuries (god forbid), that your baby may suffer are all recoverable under Georgia's "Eggshell Skull" doctrine.

I'd recommend getting an attorney with experience in handling these cases at trial. Very few personal injury attorneys in Atlanta or otherwise actually litigate these cases anymore. You may have to fight long and hard to get all that is entitled to you and your unborn child, but it's worth the fight.

Feel free to call my office if you wish to discuss this further.

11. Timothy Minthorn Klob

Pro

2

Answered . Document everything. Continue to seek medical treatment. Don't let any significant time periods pass where you don't seek ongoing medical treatment. Get a copy of the police report as soon as you can. Report this accident to your insurer. Make sure you report ALL symptoms and problems to EVERY medical provider and sure that your treating doctors note ALL complaints and problems with every body part and/or system that you are having problems with. Hire an experienced Georgia personal injury attorney (assuming this accident happened in Georgia) and have them on your side BEFORE you have any discussions or agree to give any statements to the other drivers' insurance company.

The above recommendations are just a few things that you should be doing as you seek to recover from your injuries. The main thing is to hire an experienced Georgia personal injury attorney as soon as possible so they can guide you through the claims process, ensure that your interests are protected, and ensure the protection and recovery of your health and that of your unborn baby.

I wish you all the best with your claim and medical recovery. If I can answer any additional questions, please let me know.

Timothy M. Klob
    Klob Law Firm
    770-554-8100

12. Joseph Gerard Dell

Pro

3

Answered . You need to hire a personal injury attorney. I am concerned that they gave you an x-ray while you are pregnant. I agree with the other answers that injuries from a car accident can come on days after the event takes place. You need to see your OBGYN and an orthopedist.

13. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

1

Answered . You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. You can access my Legal Guides through my profile page.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
One or more answers have been taken down.