I'm on probation for DUI and have violated for not paying my fine due to not having a job

Asked over 2 years ago - Eatonton, GA

I can get a job now but im scared that i will be picked up if they do a back ground check.. what do i need to do

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Michael Jason Rhoades

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Did you stop reporting because you couldn't pay? If so, that is the ABSOLUTE WRONG thing to do. Judges will not throw you in jail for not paying, if you are doing your best. However, they will throw you in jail in a heartbeat for not reporting. You need to do whatever it takes to get an attorney to work with you and your PO to get this matter resolved ASAP. The longer you have a warrant out on you, the harder it is going to be to clear things up without jail time being required.
    Good luck.
    M. Jason Rhoades

  2. S. Carlton Rouse

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I suggest you retain a lawyer to make contact with the DA and the Probation office. Hopefully a solution can be worked out. In my experience, most judges will give you additional time to pay or catch up on probation fees. At times, the fees can be waived or probation could become non-reporting so that no additional fees are required. However, it all depends upon the case and the facts. If you require additional information, fee free to contact us at: www.rousecolaw.com

    Best of luck,

    Comments provided by S.Carlton Rouse are not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. In addition, the... more
  3. George F. Mccranie IV


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 1st - I would advise you to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you ASAP. The attorney can work with the Prosecutor/Solicitor/District Attorney and your probation Officer to resolve the payment of the fine issue.

    2nd - Keep reporting to your Probation Officer, even i you can't make the full scheduled payment. Failure to Report is a violation of your probation and can quickly result in a probation warrant being issued for your arrest.

    3rd - Potential employers don't generally have any interest in performing the job of law enforcement. I don't believe that a background check by a potential employer would result in you being arrested.

    Please do everything in your power to straighten out the probation issues that you have ASAP. The longer you fail to pay the required fines/fees and/or don't report the harder it will be to clear up! Good Luck!

    The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general... more
  4. Daniel Palmquist Hoffey

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I strongly recommend your attorney contact the Solicitor/Prosecutor and the Probation Officer. It may be possible to adjust the payment schedule. Even if you cannot afford the full payment, I always advise my clients to make a good faith effort by paying whatever they can afford at the time. And ALWAYS report to your probation officer on the scheduled date, even if you are behind on the fines. If the Probation Officer files a Revocation action, you may be facing jail time for violating the terms of the probation.

  5. Mitchell Scott Sexner


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Employers are not concerned with violation of probation. If you need more time to pay, why not go back to court and request it from the judge.

    Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,016 answers this week

3,074 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,016 answers this week

3,074 attorneys answering