I'm on parole from felony conviction. Am hired by fed agency through Human Resource after a complete background check ...

Asked over 1 year ago - Carrollton, GA

admitting I'm on parole.Parole officer came by workplace to talk to me in parking lot. Was spotted by workplace Director when leaving, with his gun on. Director asked "who was that." I said "just an officer I know." Director looked at me very strange.No one at workplace knows I'm on parole. Can Director (or anyone at workplace) get me fired simply because I'm a felon on parole (though legitimately hired)?

1. Jesse Cole Kent

Pro

5

Answered . Generally speaking unless you have a contract for employment that specifies a term and a salary then you are an at-will employee and can be fired for practically any reason under the sun. The exception to that rule would be that you can't be fired (generally) solely on the basis of your age, race, religion, gender, etc.

2. Paul Jonathan Sieg

4

Answered . Yes.

Georgia is an employment-at-will state. Employment-at-will means that in the absence of a written contract of employment for a defined duration, an employer can terminate an employee for good cause, bad cause or no cause at all.

3. David Edward Boyle

2

Answered . I agree with the previous attorneys, yes they can fire you except for protected reasons, sex, age, race, ethnicity, etc.

4. Nathanael E. Wright

1

Answered . It also depends on their policy, If there is a policy not to hire felons then you might be out of a job.

One or more answers have been taken down.