I'm on F-1 visa. Somebody told me I can start a business but only as a passive investor. How do you start a business as a pas..?

I'm on F-1 visa. Somebody told me I can start a business but only as a passive investor. How do you start a business as a passive investor? I need some advise on starting my own business as a passive investor. How do you do it?

Milwaukee, WI -

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

It is risky. You can lose your capital! Unless you are the son of an Arab oil magnate or of a Russian minigarch you should be careful,before entrusting your money to somebody else and have him run (of even own a great part of the business the "active" partner will own and operate on his own, without you,'the "passive" investor having much say so on the expenditure of your money or the running of the business.

Talk to business / transactional lawyer before embarking on such an adventure!

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

Immigration Attorney - Milwaukee, WI

Another question is why you would want to do that, when you can passively invest in existing businesses.

Gen Kimura

Gen Kimura

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

I agree with my colleague. You can start your own company, but It is not recommended. A passive investor is one who does not participate in the day-to-day decisions of running a company. You need to hire someone to run your company.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

I, too, agree.