I'm on an F-1 Visa. I would like to invite my best friend to come to the U.S. to attend my graduation.

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I'm about to graduate this June. Can i invite my best friend to attend on my graduation. What will she need from me? Can i just send her a letter of invitation from me asking her to come. Will it be enough to present it at US Embassy if she applies for a non-immigrant visa (B-2 visa).

Thank you very much.

She is working in my country. I think she has enough proof to show at the U.S. Embassy that she will return. She can provide proof that she is employed , but will only travel to attend on my graduation. In terms of the graduation information. I have already applied for graduation two weeks ago. However, the graduation program has not been distributed yet. Can I mention it in a letter that I will send to her about the details?

1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

2

1

Answered . You can certainly send an invitation to your friend to attend your graduation. However, it is doubtful that any document from you would have any bearing on the decision by the consular officer whether to grant a visa to your friend.

Your friend needs to prove to the consular officer that she has no intent on immigrating to the US and that she has strong ties to her country. Many embassies/consulates for the US have more information on various visa types available at their websites. You can find the website for the consulate/embassy for your country at this website: http://www.usembassy.gov/ .

2. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . You can certainly invite your best friend. Send your graduation information to her so she can take it with her to her interview. She must also be able to prove she has the intent to return to her country after the visit is over.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

1

Answered . No, that is not enough. She needs strong evidence that she will return home and not remain in the US. That is the single most important factor.

4. Barbara A Marcouiller

Pro

1

1

Answered . There are at least two parts to this. One is for you (I recommend with the assistance of a knowledegeable attorney) to prepare a letter of invitation explaining the reason for her visit, her circumstances at home, e.g. her job family, etc. and why she therefore can only stay for x time and is expected to return home by whenever. Also include proof of the event such as the graduation program, formal invitation, any evidence of a big celebration such as if a friend or family member has sent out invitations to a group of people, etc.. Also include an affidavit of support I-134 not I-864 documenting who will be financially responsable for her while she's here. The the other part is to show her ties to her country, her job, family, etc., to show that she will be returning. It isn't easy even with all of that, and in part also depends on what her country is. I must admit, I've had good luck doing these. If you're going to try it, then do everything possible to do it right and document the reason she is coming and the reason she is going back.

5. Jose Antonio Moreno

3

Answered . I agree.

6. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Answered . You can invite your friend but she has to convince the consulate that she will return after the visit