I'm now a US citizen will this speed up the process for my wife to get her green card?

Asked 7 months ago - Chicago, IL

I got married months ago, while I was still just a green card holder. I just became a US citizen. Will that now lower the time frame for my wife to get her green card?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If she entered the USA on a qualified visa or is outside of the USA and not inadmissible, yes.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Gunda Johanna Brost


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. If she entered legally and you're both in the US, there should not - absent other issues not provided in your post - be any issue to adjust status for her within a few months. It is always best to hire an immigration attorney to represent you in any and all immigration matters.

    This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be... more
  3. Ajay Kumar Arora

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, your spouse is now considered an immediate relative and outside the family preference categories.

    The only waiting period is for processing of the petition and appropriate applications by the USCIS, or the USCIS and NVC/Consulate.

  4. Julia Sverdloff

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes- an immediate relative of a US citizen a visa is readily available to her. Absent any other bars of inadmissibility and the like shouldn't be a problem. Retain counsel so that no errors are made on the AOS application. Good luck.

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  5. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,437 answers this week

3,194 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,437 answers this week

3,194 attorneys answering