I'm now a US citizen will this speed up the process for my wife to get her green card?

Asked 7 months ago - Chicago, IL

I got married months ago, while I was still just a green card holder. I just became a US citizen. Will that now lower the time frame for my wife to get her green card?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . If she entered the USA on a qualified visa or is outside of the USA and not inadmissible, yes.

2. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. If she entered legally and you're both in the US, there should not - absent other issues not provided in your post - be any issue to adjust status for her within a few months. It is always best to hire an immigration attorney to represent you in any and all immigration matters.

3. Ajay Kumar Arora

3

Answered . Yes, your spouse is now considered an immediate relative and outside the family preference categories.

The only waiting period is for processing of the petition and appropriate applications by the USCIS, or the USCIS and NVC/Consulate.

4. Julia Sverdloff

1

Answered . Yes- an immediate relative of a US citizen a visa is readily available to her. Absent any other bars of inadmissibility and the like shouldn't be a problem. Retain counsel so that no errors are made on the AOS application. Good luck.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  5. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . Yes.