I'm not sure what works as proof to state I was here june 15 of 2012 for the DACA (deferred action for childhood arrivals)?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Denver, CO

So I'm applying for the work permit also known as deffered action and I need to find a proof to state that I was here June 15th but I can't find anything but a credit transaction. The thing is that my mom has a hold of my account and I'm not sure if that'll work. I also babysat around that time but I'm not sure if a card from the family that I babysat for is considered an affadavit since it was only a stipend job. I also took a cpr class around that time but it was around late june so I'm not really sure if that'll help either! Can someone just tell me what will work and what won't?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Theodore S. Huang

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To show presence on June 15, 2012, you can include supporting docs such as the following:

    Rent receipts or utility bills
    Employment records (pay stubs, W-2 Forms, etc)
    School records (letters, report cards, etc)
    Military records (Form DD-214 or NGB Form 22)
    Official records from a religious entity confirming participation in a religious ceremony
    Copies of money order receipts for money sent in or out of the country
    Passport entries
    Birth certificates of children born in the U.S.
    Dated bank transactions
    Social Security card
    Automobile license receipts or registration
    Deeds, mortgages, rental agreement contracts
    Tax receipts, insurance policies

    For assistance with a DACA application, please contact an immigration attorney.

    Theodore Huang, Esq. 626.244.7357. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. www.... more
  2. Eric Hoshang Pavri

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Definitely use the checklist provided above to guide you. I would certainly include any certificate from that CPR class in late June, along with any evidence that you have that you were in the US in early June. USCIS has made clear through the guidance that it has issued over the past few months that while they are requiring people to prove physical presence, you don't need to prove every single day or even month of the years since June 15, 2007, or have evidence specifically from June 15, 2012. I would also include a letter from the folks you babysat for -- it can certainly help to support your claim to have been here on that day. And turning any letter into an affidavit is simple -- just have the person writing the letter wait to sign it until they can do so in the presence of a notary public who will notarize it. But even if you don't get it notarized, a letter like that can still be helpful.

    I also second the other responders' comments that it's worth it for you to consult with an attorney about this process. They can make sure that your forms are done correctly, that you have strong supporting evidence, and that there's not some other reason (e.g. certain criminal or traffic convictions) that could cause you problems.

    This answer constitutes general advice and does not constitute specific legal advice, nor create an attorney/... more
  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Huang has provided you with a comprehensive list of suggested documents to prove your presence.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  4. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Huang ... and support the concept of you hiring an attorney to help you.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Deferred action

Deferred Action is a policy that allows qualifying immigrants to receive employment authorization and have removal proceedings delayed.

Robert Kennedy O'Reilly

Renew your DACA Status

On June 5, 2014, the USCIS announced the procedure for persons who previously were approved for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). At Ademi & O'Reilly, LLP, we suggest that you... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,093 answers this week

3,291 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,093 answers this week

3,291 attorneys answering