I'm not an attorney, if a pro-se litigant tells me something about his case is it protected under attorney-client privilege?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

This litigant is going through a divorce.

1. L. Maxwell Taylor

9

Answered . Attorney-client privilge applies to confidential communications made to attorneys for the purpose of obtaining legal advice. A communication made to someone other than an attorney will not be protected by the privilege, under general principles of law.

Not legal advice as I do not practice law in Texas. It's just my two cents on the facts you describe in light of general principles of law. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer who holds Texas licensure, not me.

2. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

7

Answered . No. The privilege is based on the lawyer-client relationship. Without the relationship, there is no privilege.

3. Konstantin Parkhomenko

3

Answered . No, it is not. Other types of privilege may be applicable to this case, but there aren't many out there -- the key question would be the nature of your legal relationship with the pro-se litigant.

4. Rixon Charles Rafter III

4

Answered . No. The privilege exists to protect that litigant; he/she may reveal it to anyone, anytime.

An attorney is prohibited from revealing protected information exchanged with a client.

5. Forrest Nolan Welmaker Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Not unless you work for a lawyer in furtherance of the lawyer's business. If it is a spouse, it may be protected.

6. Brent Barnes Ivy

1

Answered . Probably not--unless you work for the law firm that has an attorney-client relationship with the pro-se litigant. Outside the attorney-client privilege, there are very limited instances in which a communication with someone who is not (or does not work for) your attorney will be protected by privilege (e.g., spousal privilege). Even sharing information with your friends or family (other than your spouse) that relates to a legal matter is not advisable because this information could be discovered in the event a lawsuit is filed.