I'm meeting the DA to file a non prosecution agreement

Austin, TX |
Filed under: Domestic violence

My husband had 30 days sober and was / is on medication for ptsd suffered after the huge fire that took everything we had . Also on medication for anxiety and bi - polar . On 1 / 27 / 13 he " fell off the wagon " we got into an argument and he ended up pushing me against the house by my neck and choking me . Nothing like this has happened before . I've known him 12 years , we've been together for 6 . I called the police and they took pictures even though the officer said he really didn't see anything . They put an EPO for me and our children for 61 days . They charged him with assault fv imp breathing / circulation . Is there any way I can convince the DA with signing this paper to not proceed or to change the charges ? He has no criminal record . And he's very remorseful . He's in AA and anger mgmt in jail .

It's very unlikely that the DA will dismiss the charge, but you can certainly talk to the DA's office (and your husband's attorney, if you choose to) about taking the free two-hour PROJECT OPTIONS class, which they require before they will even discuss dismissing the case, and which will increase the chances of leniency, although they will require him to do counseling, etc., as well.

This answer is intended to be taken as general information and not as specific legal advice. You should always consult a qualified attorney and make him familiar with all the relevant facts in order to get proper legal advice. Every case is different, and they must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. David N. Smith 812 W. 11th Street, Suite 201 Austin TX 78701 (512) 457-0100 defenseattorneysmith.com

Do we both have to take that project options class and do they allow children? As I'm not sure I would be able to find anyone to look after them. He has a court appointed attorney he met with this morning. I'm waiting to hear back from him. Will the DA offer this class or do i have to mention it? And he is doing counseling in the facility as well. He has a psycologist out here that he sees. Would that count as counseling? Sorry for all the questions!! Thank you for the answer thought!!

I have been representing persons charged with domestic violence in Austin for 20 years. The district attorney's office won't dismiss with just an affidavit of non-prosecution. Your husband will need an experienced attorney to assist in his defense.
www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
Austin Family Violence
512-495-1813

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

Thank you for your answer! He was granted a court ordered attorney and spoke with him today. I think I might've worded my question wrong. I really just wanted to know what NOT to say that could hurt his case not help it. Thank you for the information!!

Assault - Family Violence (Choking) has been elevated to a felony offense and is punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 and between 2 and 10 years in the penitentiary. It also has some collateral consequences involving possible enhancements and your husbands ability to own or possess a firearm or ammunition. These charges are VERY serious, and even with a non-prosecution agreement, in most counties, it would be unusual for the DA to agree to dismiss the charge. The DA doesn't need your consent to go forward and has no obligation to honor your wish not to prosecute. Your husband needs a competent criminal defense attorney to represent him. I would suggest contacting an attorney who works frequently in the county in which the charges are files and who frequently represents defendants charged with assault-family violence.

Katherine Shipman's response to your question is for general information purposes only. Nothing in this response should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

He has a court appointed attorney he spoke to on Monday. I'm just ready for this nightmare to be over.

Does your husband have an attorney? If so that is the place to start. Talk with his attorney and coordinate to get the maximum impact from your affidavit of non-prosecution. The DA hates to drop these kinds of things and probably won't but a good attorney can use the affidavit to massively reduce the charges and the punishment to something that you can both accept.

If he doesn't have a lawyer or you aren't able to work with his attorney for some reason you need to get him one as soon as possible. There are a number of very good defense attorneys on this forum. If you would like to meet to discuss this issue I offer free consultations and would like to help you in any way I can.

He has a court appointed attorney who he spoke to on Monday. 22 days after being arrested. I meet with the DA Thursday to sign the non prosecution affidavit. My husband gave his lawyer permission to speak with me. I've left a message but have yet to hear anything back. As it stands now its 3rd degree felony assault. I've already to.d him to accept any misdemeanor. At this point it's better than a felony and minimum 2 years prison. The magistrate set his bond very high in my opinion. Especially with no criminal background.

Also is there anything than can be done about the EPO? Can his attorney ask to have it removed or lessened?