Skip to main content

I'm married to a U.S Citizen, I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant,my interview is pretty soon. Can they ask for a paternity test????

Metairie, LA |

I apply to adjust my status, and my interview is in a few weeks... One of my questions is what kind of evidence are they going to ask for, are they going to ask for a paternity test to prove that my husband is the actual father of the unborn baby, what else could they ask for??

Attorney Answers 4


Typically, a paternity test is not required. Assuming the child is your husband's child, you should include a letter from the doctor confirming pregnancy. Your interview notice has a list of evidence that you should bring to the interview. You to provide evidence that you married your husband to build a life together not to get immigration status.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

7 lawyers agree


What aren't you telling us?

Is your husband the father?

If so, don't be concerned.

If not, meet with an attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


Many states have a presumption that a child of a marriage is a child of the husband and wife together. If there is any doubt about this, you will really want to speak to a lawyer right away. If there is no doubt as to who the father is, then you have nothing to worry about.

This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. For more information, please visit

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Why would you even think about it?

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics