I'm married and have some inheritance coming to me (not my husband), as long as I don't commingle, is it my separate property?

San Mateo, CA |

I am worried that my husbands ex wife will be trying to get backed up child support with my inheritance. Is it possible the ex wife could get my inheritance? I mean if we are already married would the ex wife be able to get my money if I put the money in my own separate account?

If you deposit your inheritance in a separate sole-owner account under your name alone, to which your husband is not a signatory or owner, and if none of your husband's income or funds are deposited into that account, and if your husband doesn't have the ability to draw funds from that account, your inheritance should be protected from his ex-wife's collection efforts.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Wills and estates topics