I'm married and have some inheritance coming to me (not my husband), as long as I don't commingle, is it my separate property?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Mateo, CA

I am worried that my husbands ex wife will be trying to get backed up child support with my inheritance. Is it possible the ex wife could get my inheritance? I mean if we are already married would the ex wife be able to get my money if I put the money in my own separate account?

1. John Noah Kitta

Pro

1

Answered . As long as you maintain the integrity of the funds as being separate property and invest them or put them in the bank in your name as your separate property your husband's ex wife should have no interest in the funds.

2. Hillary Johns

Answered . Yes your inheritance is your separate property. As to whether your husband's ex wife will try to obtain that money, I cannot speak for this person although you certainly have a good case that it's your separate property and not for child support.