Skip to main content

I'm married and have some inheritance coming to me (not my husband), as long as I don't commingle, is it my separate property?

San Mateo, CA |

I am worried that my husbands ex wife will be trying to get backed up child support with my inheritance. Is it possible the ex wife could get my inheritance? I mean if we are already married would the ex wife be able to get my money if I put the money in my own separate account?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes your inheritance is your separate property. As to whether your husband's ex wife will try to obtain that money, I cannot speak for this person although you certainly have a good case that it's your separate property and not for child support.


As long as you maintain the integrity of the funds as being separate property and invest them or put them in the bank in your name as your separate property your husband's ex wife should have no interest in the funds.

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns


My suggestion would be to consult with a lawyer as to how to do that. I believe that Mr. Kitta handles cases in your county. Call him and ask him for his legal advice.

John Noah Kitta

John Noah Kitta


Thank you Hillary.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer