I'm married an US Citizen but I was placed in removal proceedings

Asked over 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I'm married an US Citizen but I was placed in removal proceedings because I overstayed a tourist visa.
I didn't show up to that hearing and left US while in proceedings. I have a deportaton order in absentia
I am in Brazil since 2009 and I have the I130 petition appoved.
What my options to return to USA?
Do I have the option to file I601 and I212? Do I have five years ban with no waiver or not?

1. Hans Burgos

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . Since you self deported when you departed from the US while in removal proceedings, you will need to file a Form I-212 to request permission to return to this country. You may also need to file a Form I-601 if you accrued more that 6 months of unlawful presence in the US. Both of these applications require knowledge and experience in immigration law. You will need to hire an immigration attorney to help you with your case.

2. Scott Douglas Devore

2

1

Answered . While I agree that you need to speak with an attorney since this case is more difficult than you realize you are likely subject to a 5 year bar under Section 212(a)(6)(B) for failure to appear without reasonable cause to your hearing. This isn't waivable and reuqires you to be outside the US for 5 years. Of course the key word here is reasonalbe. You're going to need a lawyer to explain to the government why your departure was good and why your failure to appear wasn't unreasonable.

3. Peter Joseph Loughlin

Pro

3

1

Answered . Had you remained in the US you may have tried to have he removal order rescinded, however, your only option at this point is to file form I-212 Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal. (See INA ยง212(a)(9)(A) for more details). In addition, you mentioned that you overstayed your authorized visit as a tourist - assuming you overstayed 180 days or more after your authorized departure date, you will also need to file form an I-601 waiver as well. It is critical that your waiver application be well supported with documentary evidence. I highly recommend you consult with a competent immigration attorney before proceeding.

4. Gintare Grigaite

1

Answered . Yes, you need waivers since you had accured unlawful presence in the US before you left, and also a removal order. You need to consult with experienced immigration attorney.

5. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Your question is too complex and case specific for it to be answered meaningfully on Avvo.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts and handle the case.