I'm lost and have no idea what to do.

Asked 3 months ago - Denver, CO

I was stationed in Germany and convicted of a dui. They dropped the charges and told the military to take care of it. They did and I did my punishment. Now I got back to the states and got a Colorado license. I got a letter from Oregon saying my license has been suspended for a year.

1. Eric Stanton Anaya

Pro

3

Answered . Contact Oregon to determine why your license was suspended. States do communicate and you do not want Oregon to interfere with your CO license. Make sure Colorado has your current address. If Oregon does send something to Colorado you will receive a revocation notice as well and likely have to pay two fees to get it back.

2. Valarie A McNeice

Pro

4

Answered . If you kept your Oregon license while overseas and had it when you got the DUI, it was likely reported to DMV in Oregon. Nowadays most jurisdictions communicate. You may need to meet certain requirements to get your license reinstated. A suspended license in one State often effects your driving privileges in other states. Sometimes you just need to pay a reinstatement fee but more likely, you will need to show proof of counseling and other requirements. Consult with a local DUI attorney.

3. Jay Scott Finnecy

Pro

2

1

Answered . I'm confused as well. Your license suspension from Oregon may be totally unrelated to the DUI in Germany. I have NEVER heard of of an international conviction affecting a state issued driver's license. You need to contact the Oregon DMV and learn why your license is suspended.

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy