I'm lost and have no idea what to do.

Denver, CO |

I was stationed in Germany and convicted of a dui. They dropped the charges and told the military to take care of it. They did and I did my punishment. Now I got back to the states and got a Colorado license. I got a letter from Oregon saying my license has been suspended for a year.

I'm confused as well. Your license suspension from Oregon may be totally unrelated to the DUI in Germany. I have NEVER heard of of an international conviction affecting a state issued driver's license. You need to contact the Oregon DMV and learn why your license is suspended.

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy

It said it was from a march 30 conviction which I didn't even have. If anything it would have been back in December. But it says for driving under the influence of intoxicants.

Jay Scott Finnecy

Jay Scott Finnecy

Interesting. Check to see if the DMV letter references a case number or where the alleged DUI is from. This seems highly unusual. Good luck. What do they want form you to reinstate your license?

No sir it has no case number only says what the suspension is ordered under. Has no details or any case reference number. They said I can continue on a hardship permit if I do drug and alcohol classes or have employment or medical appointments. Otherwise they said I can't get them reinstated until 18 June next year.

On top of that it says to return the license. I never received the hard copy of my Oregon license. So that's another dilemma

Jay Scott Finnecy

Jay Scott Finnecy

You should probably contact an experienced DUI attorney in Oregon. Assuming the DUI you mentioned occurred in Germany, I have NEVER heard of a state taking action against your license. Good luck. This is a complicated situation unless I'm missing something.

It did occur in Germany. Not even on a military base. How do I do that if I'm not in Oregon? I haven't been three for almost three years. Do I still use an Oregon attorney?

Also I see you're from San Diego. That actually where I'm moving tomorrow. You can't help me?

Jay Scott Finnecy

Jay Scott Finnecy

I wish I could, but I think you need help from a lawyer in Oregon. Once you get to San Diego you are certainly free to contact me regarding this or any other legal issue.

I know I will have issues trying to get my California license. So I'm sure I'll need your help

Jay Scott Finnecy

Jay Scott Finnecy

AVVO rules prevent me from advising you to call me, but you are free to do whatever you want when you find yourself in San Diego and in need of an attorney.

Thank you very much sir

So here is the question at hand then...with a valid Colorado license and a supposed suspension in Oregon of a license I no longer possess which will California honor?

If you kept your Oregon license while overseas and had it when you got the DUI, it was likely reported to DMV in Oregon. Nowadays most jurisdictions communicate. You may need to meet certain requirements to get your license reinstated. A suspended license in one State often effects your driving privileges in other states. Sometimes you just need to pay a reinstatement fee but more likely, you will need to show proof of counseling and other requirements. Consult with a local DUI attorney.

This answer is intended to only provide general information and does not establish an attorney- client relationship. The information is not guaranteed as sound legal advice since most questions are very limited in nature. You may wish to consult with an attorney regarding your specific case.

I had a usaeur license. I never had my physical Oregon license. I already did all the punishment for military and Germany. Now they're trying to get me again. Also I'm not in Oregon. Can I still use an Oregon attorney

Also it would have been reported long ago not just now. It occurred in December.

They ran a background check when the issues me my Colorado license. Idk the issue

I have a valid Colorado license can I drive on that?

Valarie A McNeice

Valarie A McNeice

I am guessing that you recently got your license in Colorado and that triggered something. The military courts are federal courts. If you were convicted of a DUI, it could be reported. If you contact Oregon DMV, they should be able to tell you why it was suspended and what you need to do to fix it. Although you had legal consequences, drivers license agencies can impose administrative sanctions. Many states require an Ignition Interlock Device after a DUI.

I never ever went to court. Never had a trial or anything. All I received was an article 15. I still have my honorable discharge and everything. I would be fine with the thingy that I have to blow in or even another fine. I just need to be able to drive.

Valarie A McNeice

Valarie A McNeice

I'm not sure why they suspended it. Did you ask? It ma uh or may not affect your Colorado license.

Contact Oregon to determine why your license was suspended. States do communicate and you do not want Oregon to interfere with your CO license. Make sure Colorado has your current address. If Oregon does send something to Colorado you will receive a revocation notice as well and likely have to pay two fees to get it back.

Traffic tickets topics