Skip to main content

I'm looking for decisions or court cases in California that determined modifications in custody, visitation, and support.

Victorville, CA |

I am researching court cases and rulings that have been made in California related to the modification of custody, visitation, and support, in order to help determine current criteria trends, and judicial decisions. I currently have sole physical and legal custody with visitation to father. His OSC declaration asks for a change without any reason or documentation other than asking for a change. Our last order was made in 2009. Must his reasons and supporting facts be presented in his declaration? Can he present additions to his declaration after filing? Can he introduce verbal reasons in lieu of documentation? He has sited Reifer VS Superior Court.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. First, his citation of Riefer is nothing more than a general opening statement that the court could use his declaration as his testimony. It is a common case used in a lot of opening statements.
    Concerning cases that discuss changes in custody and visitation. There are too many to count.
    The basic premise is that there has to be a change of circumstance in the children’s lives to modify custody. It is possible to modify visitation with a lesser standard.
    As far as child support goes it is also a change of circumstance test since the last time support was modified.
    Custody, visitation, and support are some of the most highly contested areas of family law and you need to discuss your case with an experienced family law attorney. Sorry I could not be of any more help.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics