I'm looking for an attorney to help with closing documents in a real estate matter in NJ.

Bayonne, NJ |

I'm looking for an attorney to help with closing documents in a real estate matter in NJ. I purchased a house with a girlfriend, we broke up, and we have reached a modest settlement figure to get me off the note. Her lawyer is talking about limited power of attorney and more, and I want to make sure that releasing my whole interest in this property also releases 100% of my liability.

Her lawyer has promised to send me all the docs for review. We are scheduled to meet and sign on 12/28 so I'm looking for a fast response.

1. You can click the "find a lawyer" link below and search for a real estate lawyer in your area. You may have a challenge finding someone able to work with you with such a quick turnaround.

Best of luck to you!

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

2. I'm in Bridgewater (about a half hour from US 1&9 entrance to I-78) and could address your concerns before Dec. 28 if you want to work with me. If so, please call my law office at 908-704-1900.

FYI- settling with your girlfriend will not necessarily relieve you of liability such as for a mortgage, so it is very important that you get legal advice before lyou sign any documents. For example, depending what the current documents as well as prior legal documents (like a mortgage note) actually say, your credit could be tied up in your former girlfriend's mortgage and you might not have any way to clear your credit. By the same token, the deal could be structured in ways that wouldn't impari your credit.

Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com/blog and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and SpecialNeedsNJ.com does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.

3. If you would like to discuss the issue, you may contact me at 742-914-9114.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.