I'm involved in a case for couple years now, and my lawyer can't determine a approximate settlement. why is that?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

Settlement issues

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

15

Answered . Is your treatment ongoing, have you had surgery, has an "independent" medical examination(s) been completed. Your lawyer may have very good reasons. As a general rule, any lawyer who comments on value before all the necessaries have been done is irresponsible at best. Furthermore, any lawyer who comments on another scenario is disingenuous. Does your lawyer special in personal injury litigation.

2. Brian C. Pascale

Pro

14

Answered . You do not provide any information to help you. There are too many factors that come into play. Is your attorney an experienced Personal Injury Attorney, or a Jack of all Trades?

3. Michael Evan Greenspan

13

Answered . Your question does not provide us with enough information for any of us to respond with a meaningful answer.
    Why don't you arrange to sit down with your attorney face to face and go over your case in detail? Your attorney should be able to explain to you what the status of your case is, how long it will take to proceed to trial, and what exposure if any do you face at trial if the trier of fact (be it the jury or judge) finds against you or what the recovery for you can reasonably be expected to be.

If you do not leave that meeting completely satisfied with all of your questions answered, you should consider using the Avvo find a lawyer function to locate a new attorney.

Good Luck

4. Craig A. Post

12

Answered . Assuming your attorney is an experienced personal injury attorney, he/she is probably not in the position to give an opinion at this point. There are many factors that go in to the value of a case not all of which are actually related to the injury itself.

5. David Ian Schoen

Pro

12

Answered . There is no magic formula for determining when a case is ripe for settlement. Unless an attorney is comfortable with his/her knowledge of the extent of a client's injuries, they cannot make a recommendation for a fair settlement number. Occasionally, this could take years, when a client's prognosis is not easily formulated.

6. Michael R Varble, Esq.

Pro

11

Answered . Your lawyer should be able to come up with a ball park figure for your case. Even if you have ongoing treatment and the possibility of future surgery, I would think your attorney could formulate a demand for your case. Its not that difficult.

7. Eric Edward Rothstein

10

Answered . Are you still treating? Is surgery a possibility? After a couple of years I would expect a lawyer to at least be able to give some range of potential settlement value.

Pro

11

Answered . A plethora of factors go into putting a number on a case. Sit tight.

9. Kenneth Alan Wilhelm

9

Answered . It would be irresponsible to comment on the competence of your lawyer without knowing the facts of the case and your damages from the accident., etc. If you are not satisfied with the way that your case is being handled and the answers that you are receiving then I would suggest that you contact other lawyers with experience in personal injury cases.

10. Mitchell Jan Birzon

Pro

5

Answered . Your attorney should be able to evaluate the value of your case. The components of lost wages, conscious pain and suffering, past present and future medical reds and costs and the adverse impact your injuries have on the quality of your life are the guiding aspects to case evaluation. Contact myself or any of the NY attorneys at AVVO for a second opinion.

11. C. Donald Briggs III

3

Answered . There could be many reasons for this. Case values depend on a number of factors. if you have not reached a conclusion for your treatment (a medical end result), then your attorney should be waiting to value your claim. You should make an appointment to discuss this with your attorney in any event.