I'm international student and my Boyfriend is immigrant, can he sponsor me if we get married?

Asked 10 months ago - Palm Desert, CA

he's immigrant and applying for citizenship end of this year 2013. he's a Nurse here in United states. if we get married this July 2013 is there any way he can sponsor me? what is the difference of getting married to a immigrant or U.S citizen.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

2. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

9

1

Answered . You must mean that he is a lawful permanent resident. If he files for you as a lawful permanent resident, there would be a significant wait for your immigrant visa and if your student status expired during the waiting period, you would not be able to stay in the US. If he's a US citizen, you are considered an "immediate relative" and can apply for your green card without having to wait several years. Discuss these options in more detail with an experienced immigration attorney.

3. Nassim Arzani

Pro

5

Answered . Yes he can file a petition for you assuming you have no inadmissibility issues. Once your husband naturalizes the process will be a lot faster. You can get married at any time, it does not make a difference.

4. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

6

1

Answered . You should wait to file your paperwork for a green card until your husband becomes a citizen. Generally speaking, the spouse of a US citizen and is an immediate relative and can file for a green card right away. If he is only a green card holder, the process takes much longer as you must wait for a visa number to become available. It is best to consult an attorney.

5. Helen Huyen Huynh

4

Answered . I am assuming that you are currently present in the United States in answering this question. You can marry anytime. You do not have to wait for your boyfriend to become a citizen to marry. He can also petition or you as a permanent resident but a visa will not be available for you and you will not have have any immigration benefits. However, when he becomes a citizen, he can petition for you and at the same time, you can apply for adjustment of status and apply for a greencard which will give you some benefits while your application is pending.

For additional informaiton, please contact me for a free consultation at helenlawoffice@yahoo.com.

6. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, once you are married, your "husband" will be able to file a Petition for you. Once he is a citizen, there is a visa immediately available, which means that you could file an application for adjustment of status to the green card right away. If he remains a green card holder himself, however, there is a wait of perhaps 3-4 years before a visa might be available to you to obtain your green card. You should plan carefully.

7. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

4

Answered . Once he is a U.S. citizen and you have married, he can sponsor you via an I-130 application, if there are no other issues in your background preventing you from adjusting status. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney in your area to get the process rolling.