I'm Indian citizen working in Brazil which also has a branch in the US. Can I qualify for L1visa, if so do I need to go India?

Asked about 3 years ago - Dallas, TX

I would like to know If I can apply for L1 visa from Brazil.

1. C. C. Abbott

1

Answered . You need to contact the company you work for to determine if they have an attorney who can assist. The basis rule for qualification is the company has to either have offices in both the US and the home country or intend to open an office in US while keeping teh home country office. Also the L-1 applicant has to ahve worked for company for at least 1 year.

2. Christian Schmidt

1

Answered . The U.S. company can file for a L visa if both the U.S. and Brazilian company are commonly owned, you worked at the Brazilian company for at least one year within the last three years, and you are offered a qualifying position. Once the visa petition is approved, you should be able to apply for an L visa at a U.S. Consulate in Brazil.

3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

1

Answered . As long as you have worked for the Brazilian branch or other branch for at least one year out of the last three you are potentially eligible for an L-1A. The two companies will need to have a corporate relationship. Branch is fine for the L-1A but may not work for a later green card.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law