I'm in the process of starting my own brand with basic apparel (T-shirts, Hoodies etc.) Is it legal to retag the items w/my logo

Asked 10 months ago - Chicago, IL

I plan to purchase a number of items, relabel them and sell them as my own, of course some items will be embellished, or w/added sayings etc. I just want to use them as blanks. I see alot of items on line that I would like to do this process with and just wanted to know if it would come back to bite me. Thank you for your time.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

3

1

Answered . You are treading in very murky waters. You could be asking for some serious legal problems. Before doing anything, you should consult with a business attorney and probably also with an IP attorney. there is much more to starting a business than simply hanging Out a shingle.

2. Thomas O. Moens

1

Answered . Yes, I would say being bitten would be in your future if you simply slap your own label on a product. You can certainly make arrangements with manufacturers to accomplish what I think you are trying to do. Consult with a business attorney in your area so you can have a good discussion about exactly what you are hoping to accomplish. Good luck.

3. Adam Edward Urbanczyk

1

Answered . A better idea would be to identify a shirt/hoodie/etc. manufacturer and have them white label your products. Not only do you want to avoid a Jansport, Hanes, etc. problem down the line, but if you intend to acquire a federal trademark registration for your logos or brand, simply emblazoning them on the front of a shirt (i.e., displaying them "ornamentally") will not work: you'll likely have to put the marks on the tag anyway.

You should speak with an IP attorney before you advance your idea.

4. Betty Tsamis

1

Answered . I agree with the comments my colleagues have posted here. Please consider contacting Lawyers for the Creative Arts, providing pro bono legal service for the arts. Their website is: http://www.law-arts.org/. Good luck!

5. Michael Charles Doland

2

1

Answered . If they are blanks, no. If you remove a label with trademark protection. You will have problems.

6. Daniel Nathan Ballard

Answered . If what you purchase is already branded or protected by trade dress then, no, you may not remove any such branding and sell it either unbranded or displaying your branding or displaying any additional designs or logos on the product.

There are many apparel manufacturers who sell unbranded, generic-appearing clothes wholesale for the express purpose of having the buyer brand those clothes for retail sale. Find a few of those manufacturers and buy from them -- and ONLY them.