I'm in the process of filing all past due tax returns and filing chapter 13 bankruptcy. Will interest/penalties have to be paid?

Asked over 1 year ago - Woodstock, GA

I'm in the process of filing all past due tax returns for both State of Ga & IRS. I'm considering filing chapter 13 bankruptcy. However, because my tax returns have just been filed they don't fall within the 3 year, 2 year or 240 window. Question one would be do I need to wait until all my tax returns have been processed and assessed to file bankruptcy?

When factoring in my disposable income by taking into account IRS standards of living and then comparing it to what I could pay into the plan over 60 months, I wouldn't have paid enough to cover all my priority tax debt & secured debt (car). Are the interest and penalties to date considered unsecured such as a credit card or will they have to be paid in full through the plan?

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

7

Answered . Interest and penalties that have accrued to date on priority taxes will be priority claims and you're going to need to pay them in your plan.

Sit down with a lawyer and see if a workable plan is possible. If it is, you probably can file now, although the IRS not having processed the returns yet will create a few possible bumps, especially if they disagree with what you file, or if you have underestimated accrued interest and penalties.

2. Brian Crozier Whitaker

8

Answered . Interest and penalties on priority debt are also priority debt; but no more interest or penalties will accrue once your case is filed. You don't have to have them all filed before filing, but they'll need to be filed before your Plan can be confirmed.

3. Susan Schmeidler Blum

Pro

4

Answered . While the interest and fees are priority debt that will need to be paid back in the bankruptcy, once you file the bankruptcy neither interest nor fees will continue to accrue. You do not have to wait until the returns are processed (or even filed) to file the bankruptcy, however it is good process to at least have them filed prior to filing the bankruptcy. In the Northern District of Georgia, your Chapter 13 plan will not be confirmed until you file/process all tax returns. If a Chapter 13 will work for you, it's a good way to manage the tax debt you owe and pay it back over a 5-year period. I am happy to take a look at your situation to see whether it will work for you, just give a call. 770-393-4985.

4. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

4

Answered . It is a good idea to get these filed prior to filing, as the IRS will estimate them with no deductions and file a large claim based on the estimate if you don't, causing a problem with the case. However, there may be options you can explore with an experienced bankruptcy attorney once you know the amounts. Interest and penalties are normally considered priority debt, but if there are some older years mixed in, you may have some claimed as unsecured, or even others that are unsecured but non-dischargeable. One other thing to consider is that the priority portion of the tax debt will be deducted from your disposable income, so the numbers may come out better than you are currently calculating.

5. Kathryn Ursula Tokarska

2

Answered . Please please do yourself a favor and consult with a bankrputcy lawyer to review your situation. If chapter 13 is the answer let them handle it. Success rates in chapter 13s for self represented debtors are less than 3%.