I'm in the process of divorce. How much alimony will the court award her?

Royal Palm Beach, FL |
Filed under: Alimony

It is a long term marriage, 20 yrs. She was a stay at home Mom for 13yrs. She now has a job earning 20,000 per yr. And my salary is 80,000 per yr.

Sorry to hear you are going through this. The court can award an equitable amount, i would consult a local FL attney who can give you an idea- coudl be between 20-33 percent more or less, problem in the middle. Good luck and take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Alimony in Florida is not based on a formula, although many lawyers believe it is. In Florida, alimony is based upon your wife's needs and your ability to pay. The court will look at each party's expenses and discover what income is available to meet the ACTUAL needs of your wife. I suspect you are looking at a range of $1,500 to $2,500 per month. After alimony is calculated the court will then calculate child support based upon your after alimony, after tax income and her post alimony, post tax income. Please remember that alimony is a deduction from your gross income, not your net income. So, for tax purposes it is as though you never earned the income that you will pay to your spouse for alimony. She, on the other hand, will be taxed upon receipt of the alimony.

Recommended articles about Divorce