I'm in the Army National Guard. My girlfriend came here legally and overstayed her visa.

Asked about 1 year ago - Hillsboro, OR

She's been here for over 2 years. Will we get in trouble if we get married and don't apply for adjustment of status right away?

1. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . I'll be direct with you ... Washington County Oregon is one of the worst places for an 'illegal' person to live.

I suggest you talk to a lawyer about why you don't want to file for her papers pronto.

2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

2

Answered . If she is picked up she would likely be released under the curent guidelines for prosecutorial dsicretion but why take the chance, apply for her permnent residency so she can obtian a work card, driver's license and otherwise have a legal existence in the U.S. What if you were sent overseas? wouldn't you worry about her?

--
    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Without a petition and adjustment of status application having been filed, she remains deportable and can be deported.