I'm in the Army National Guard. My girlfriend came here legally and overstayed her visa.

Asked about 1 year ago - Hillsboro, OR

She's been here for over 2 years. Will we get in trouble if we get married and don't apply for adjustment of status right away?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'll be direct with you ... Washington County Oregon is one of the worst places for an 'illegal' person to live.

    I suggest you talk to a lawyer about why you don't want to file for her papers pronto.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting... more
  2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If she is picked up she would likely be released under the curent guidelines for prosecutorial dsicretion but why take the chance, apply for her permnent residency so she can obtian a work card, driver's license and otherwise have a legal existence in the U.S. What if you were sent overseas? wouldn't you worry about her?

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

    Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Without a petition and adjustment of status application having been filed, she remains deportable and can be deported.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,008 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,008 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering