I'm in removal proceedings before an Immigration Court, can I request continuance or administrative closure based on

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

the Immigration Reform that hopefully will pass by the Congress and become law? Only relief is a petition for a USC mother to a not married adult son which visa is not available yet. Would all the Judges receive moratorium instructions on all pending removal proceedings on low-priority cases? Thanks for your input.

1. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

3

Answered . You can ask for whatever you want but requests based on things that do not yet exist are not likely to be approved. You should hire an attorney to help

2. Rajesh Nakchhed Prasad

3

Answered . I agree with my colleague. You are not likely to get a continuance in your removal proceedings based on the possibility that some future immigration reform may or may not pass. Please consult with a qualified immigration lawyer.

3. Carlos E Sandoval

Answered . You can ask for it. The response is going to depend on the jurisdiction, the judge, and whether you have received multiple continuances in the past. Another option is to request a continuance to try to get prosecutorial discretion, which most judges approve, and hope that the law passes before the date of the next hearing.

4. Nicklaus James Misiti

2

Answered . You can ask for it but it almost certainly will be denied. Hire an attorney before your situation gets worse.

5. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

1

Answered . I cannot envision any Judge granting a continuance based on a proposed law. You may be able to get a continuance based on other grounds. Consult with an attorney