I'm in Alabama and I called SS Tuesday 02/11/14 to get off social security. I just got out of MMI tech. school for motor cycle I

Opp, AL |

I started a motor cycle shop at my house. I feel i don't need there checks any more. What else can i do

1. Send a notice in writing and return any checks you receive. Congratulations on becoming self-sufficient.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.

2. Just to follow up on Mr. Dugan's answer, you want to first of all let SSA know and secondly (as important) DOCUMENT that you have informed SSA. The best way to do so is to send a letter to your local SSA office via certified mail - return receipt requested. You want to keep a copy of your letter and you also want to keep the green card (signed for by an SSA employee) as evidence that you did, in fact, notify SSA of your decision. Again, letting them know is one thing; being able to PROVE that you informed SSA is the more important thing.

Also, just want to remind you that IF things don't work out you may be able to reinstate your SSA benefits - hopefully without having to reapply and start the entire process over. So continue to maintain a file holding all documents relating to your SSA disability. You'd be surprised how useful having those documents might be someday in the future.

Best wishes for success with your new business.

It is impossible to give specific answers to questions without meeting and fully discussing all of the potential issues that may not be addressed by your question. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information and are not legal advice. Only after a thorough personal consultation could specific legal advice be given. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. To enter such a relationship you and I would need to consult in person and form a mutually agreeable written contract of engagement. The answer(s) provided in this forum is intended to educate you and point to issues for you to raise in a consultation with a lawyer of your choosing who is appropriately competent in the field of law that your question concerns and who is duly licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where you live and/or where the events giving rise to your question occurred. You should not take any action that might affect your claim(s) without first seeking the professional opinion of a licensed attorney. There are often strict deadlines for filing suit, responding to a suit or making an appeal and you need to personally consult with an attorney to make sure that you understand and meet those deadlines.

3. I agree with the above attorneys here, just make sure you document everything. I hope your business continues to have success.

Social security topics