I'm in a current lease, the apartment complex had me sign another lease 90 days prior to the end of the first lease. Legal?

Asked about 1 year ago - Davenport, IA

Is it legal for me to have two contracts at the same time?

1. Thomas O. Moens

1

Answered . If you mean for example, that your current term expires on August 31, and your landlord had you sign a lease today that begins on September 1, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, I am assuming you mean that the terms overlap. If that is correct, it is a bit confusing, but I do not see anything not "legal" about it. Provided they are not expecting you to pay on both, I would say the new lease terminates the old lease. I am not sure what your goal is in asking this question, but you will have a problem arguing there is something illegal about this, since you voluntarily signed the new lease.