I'm here to visit my brothers where they are a U.S. citizen, and I have a tourist visa for five years. Can I get a Green Card,

Asked over 1 year ago - Mechanicsburg, PA

and what the procedures and time , I am their sister, and I am 40 years old , single

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

8

8

Answered . please chat with a local immigation attorney, the form you will need for your brother to help you is called an I-130 however there is a 10 year period and more facts are needed etc for where to wait and how. take care.

2. Sergey Vladimirovich Makarov

11

Answered . Brother may petition for you, waiting period 12 years, you should wait outside the US

3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

11

Answered . Your brother can petition for you by filing an I-130. Unfortunately it will take about 10 years for you to be eligible for a green card.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

8

Answered . Yes he can sponsor .. and the papers will be good in 12 years, or so.

NO, you can not stay in the US while waiting for the greencard.

Yes, you can try to find a different visa ... such as student for college/university??

5. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

5

Answered . Yes you can get a green card but it will take many years if your brother applies for you. Meet with an immigration attorney to discuss options.

6. Ann Elizabeth Block

5

Answered . One or both of your brothers can file a petition for you -- but there is a very long waiting period for your "priority date" == which is the date of filing the petition, to become current. Though presently the wait appears to be 10-12 years for most people (it depends on the country where you were born), it can be much longer, and also could be shorter -- NOONE can know for sure. At the moment, all anyone can tell you is how long it took for people who are RIGHT NOW immigrating through a sibling to be eligible to immigrate through that sibling. You can go to www.travel.state.gov and click on "visas" then "visa bulletin" and then look at the current and archived bulletins to see how fast siblings have been immigrating after a petition has been filed for them in the past decade or so. Note that the Senate bill that passed regarding immigration reform will ELIMINATE the sibling category -- but will presently (though it may be amended) would allow an 18 month period after passage for USCs to file for their siblings. You should explore other means to immigrate, however, if you want to remain in the U.S. now or come here as an immigrant in the near future. Hire an experienced and reputable immigration lawyer -- it will be worth your time and money.

7. C. C. Abbott

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. My only addition is if your brother applies and gets an I-130 for you, it does to give you legal status in the US. You will have to maintain status separately The tourist visa is not a status visa but the right to request entry on multiple visits for the five years. the I-94 stapled in your passport is the length of time you can stay in the US "on this visit" and remain in status. I see many aliens when I an on outreach who has I-130 approvals and claim loudly they are now legal ---- I have to explain to then that the I-130 alone is not a status document.