I'm having trouble finding a copy of the standard divorce decree in Texas. The judge doesn't accept the ones on the internet

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I would like to know where can I find a copy of the correct one and can anyone help me getting it together. I don't have the money to hire an attorney.

1. Patricia Faye Bushman

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is no "standard" divorce decree. There is "standard" language for various parts of the decree, depending on the facts of the particular case. Some attorneys will be happy to simply draft the paperwork for a lesser fee than actually representing you. I have done this on a number of occasions. Particularly if there are children, you want paperwork prepared by a good family law attorney.

2. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

3

Answered . There is no "standard" divorce decree per se. The form of the decree depends on the existence of minor children, the existence and types property in the community estate, any agreements about filing federal income taxes, etc. All I can suggest is keep on trying to get it right or find an attorney to review what you've drafted.

3. Fran Brochstein

Answered . Yu can go to the Harris County Law library located on the first floor of the old jury assembly building on Congress (across the street from the Family Law Building) and try to figure it out. The Texas Family Law Practice Manual is down there. It's only 5 volumes. The Final Decree of Divorce master is included in there. Bring lots of money to copy it. Then you get to try to figure out what to delete.

That might not be all you need - you need a FOCUS form & BVS Form for Harris county forms.
    Plus, the statement to read to the judge under oath.

If there are kids involved then you need a Wage Withholding Order for Child Support.

If child support has already been established with the TX A G office, they need to sign off on your Final Decree.

If you have no idea what I'm saying, then you definitely need an attorney's help.

Many attorneys are willing to try to help you, but you have not given enough info. to help you here. You need to talk to an attorney in person.