Skip to main content

I'm going to court for driving with a suspended license. I was pulled over one night and spent 12 hrs in jail

Denver, CO |

...i had to go to court in Firestone, for a FTA & driving w/o insurance, and will go to court in Adams County in a few days for my suspended license. I'm wondering how much jail time i'll get and if i'll be able to plea out of it. i understand the fines and extended suspension will be hefty but as a single mom, i'm more concerned about who'll look after my son. I can't afford a lawyer.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. If you can't afford an attorney, contact the clerk's office or the public defender's office in those areas and inquire how to go about applying for a court-appointed attorney. You have several charges that could each result in significant jail time. You want legal representation.

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

  2. Are you eligible to get your DL back? If so, do everything you can to get your license back asap and do not plea to anything until you consult with an attorney. You also need to apply for the public defender at your next court appearance to make sure you obtain the best possible outcome. There are a lot of variables that go into what the penalties are for each case. Some you can control, some you can not. That is why you need a Public Defender as they can explain this to you and negotiate on your behalf given the fact pattern of your case and your current circumstances.

    The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics