I'm going to court for driving with a suspended license. I was pulled over one night and spent 12 hrs in jail

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

...i had to go to court in Firestone, for a FTA & driving w/o insurance, and will go to court in Adams County in a few days for my suspended license. I'm wondering how much jail time i'll get and if i'll be able to plea out of it. i understand the fines and extended suspension will be hefty but as a single mom, i'm more concerned about who'll look after my son. I can't afford a lawyer.

1. Rhidian David Watson Orr

5

Answered . Are you eligible to get your DL back? If so, do everything you can to get your license back asap and do not plea to anything until you consult with an attorney. You also need to apply for the public defender at your next court appearance to make sure you obtain the best possible outcome. There are a lot of variables that go into what the penalties are for each case. Some you can control, some you can not. That is why you need a Public Defender as they can explain this to you and negotiate on your behalf given the fact pattern of your case and your current circumstances.

2. James Donald Garrett

4

4

Answered . If you can't afford an attorney, contact the clerk's office or the public defender's office in those areas and inquire how to go about applying for a court-appointed attorney. You have several charges that could each result in significant jail time. You want legal representation.