I'm going through a divorce and would like to check myself into an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program. Would I still be able to

Asked 10 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

attend Conciliation and Request for Order Court hearing dates while going through the program? Or am I supposed to reschedule those hearing dates until I complete the rehab program? Please advise.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Annette L Goudy

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the Court is aware that you have checked yourself into a rehab program, I'm sure you would be able to continue whatever matters you need to continue. You should most likely have a lawyer available to assist you, as you will likely not be able to leave the inpatient program, and you may need someone to appear for you to either ask for the continuances, or for some other reason. You don't need to worry about what is going on at court while you are in rehab.

    Good luck!

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this... more
  2. Moses Alexander Yneges

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Congratulations for taking the initiative and getting the help you need. This will show you are trying to change your life for the better. Whether to continue the request for order hearing is a question for you to answer. If being in drug rehab prevents you from preparing or making a physical appearance then maybe you want to continue it. If you have the ability to prepare and to make the appearance you may want to go to court and address all the issues you can and ask the court to reserve on those issues that you don't feel comfortable addressing until after your done with rehab. We don't know all the issues to be addressed in your request for order, you mentioned a conciliation appointment so it seems that custody is at issue at the very least. If temporary spousal support is an issue then there's no reason why you should not address that, especially if you really need the support. Even if child custody is at issue, you may want to go to see if you can get monitored visitations until you finish rehab and let the court know that you are currently addressing your drug abuse problem. Good luck with everything!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,010 answers this week

2,909 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,010 answers this week

2,909 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary