I'm getting married to a USA citizen and I was wondering if I could be my own sponsor during the green cards process

Asked 7 months ago - Chicago, IL

I'm in the country on a valid work visa and I will continue to work for the company who got me the visa after I'm married.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

5

Answered . How can you be your own sponsor?

2. David Alexander Concha

Pro

6

Answered . Your wife has to petition you. She also has to do an affidavit of support. You can use a household members income if they are authorized to work. The economic sponsorship forms are very complicated. Hire an Immigration attorney to help you with the process.

3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

5

Answered . If you are asking whether your income can be included on the affidavit of support, the answer is yes. You will have to execute the "household member" portion of the affidavit of support.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . That is not legally permissible.

5. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

2

Answered . It is my understanding that you want to know if your income can be used to meet the minimum income requirements. I'm happy to say that yes, it can, since it is earned lawfully, as long as you file joint tax returns with your spouse. Contact a lawyer as these are not easy documents and mistakes can have a lasting damage.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  6. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

3

Answered . Your income can be included in the affidavit of support as long as it was gained through lawful employment. Consult an immigration attorney in person for more specifics.