I'm getting married soon to a USC while waiting my OPT to start on February, would that be a problem?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I just graduated from school last December and I am waiting for my OPT (applied the I-765 form via school) to start on February. My USC boyfriend proposed and we plan to get married soon. Would that be a problem to my status ?(my F-1 visa expired last november) If so, how to prevent or solve the problem? And if I file the green card application right away after the marriage, should I file the I-765 (employment authorization) again or can I use my current one to get a job that not-related to my study? how does it work?

1. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

5

1

Answered . Getting married will not cause a problem. You can wait for the OPT or you can file an application to adjust your status to permanent resident upon marriage. If you want to work outside of your field I would consider getting the EAD through the marriage petition.

2. Kristina A. Gasson

4

Answered . I don't see any issue with getting married from what you've told us. You can file the green card application after marriage. It would make sense to file for an EAD at that time so that there are no restrictions on your employment.

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

2

Answered . I don't see a problem with status if you were to marry your USC boyfriend. You can file to adjust status. I would file the I-765 as this one would be unrestricted.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . I see no problems ... especially if you and your bride hire an attorney to help with the process.