I'm getting married soon to a USC while waiting my OPT to start on February, would that be a problem?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I just graduated from school last December and I am waiting for my OPT (applied the I-765 form via school) to start on February. My USC boyfriend proposed and we plan to get married soon. Would that be a problem to my status ?(my F-1 visa expired last november) If so, how to prevent or solve the problem? And if I file the green card application right away after the marriage, should I file the I-765 (employment authorization) again or can I use my current one to get a job that not-related to my study? how does it work?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Myron Russell Morales


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Getting married will not cause a problem. You can wait for the OPT or you can file an application to adjust your status to permanent resident upon marriage. If you want to work outside of your field I would consider getting the EAD through the marriage petition.

    This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at:... more
  2. Kristina A. Gasson

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't see any issue with getting married from what you've told us. You can file the green card application after marriage. It would make sense to file for an EAD at that time so that there are no restrictions on your employment.

    www.gassonlaw.com - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement... more
  3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't see a problem with status if you were to marry your USC boyfriend. You can file to adjust status. I would file the I-765 as this one would be unrestricted.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  4. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I see no problems ... especially if you and your bride hire an attorney to help with the process.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,099 answers this week

3,357 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,099 answers this week

3,357 attorneys answering