I'm getting married in about 6 days and just found out that i have a two year old warrant what should i do?

Colorado Springs, CO |

i called the probation department and said my bond would be $2500 and i should turn myself in but i might take a couple of weeks to see the judge and get out. I have already paid for the wedding and flew family out(now I'm broke) will i get arrested. We are getting married by an Ordain Minister and then file our license through the dmv.

1. If it has gone on this long (2 years) without you being arrested, it is unlikely that you will be arrested within the next two weeks. However, it is possible. I would hire a criminal defense attorney in the Springs to help you out. I normally recommend to Clifton Black or Brian Boal. They can tell you how to turn yourself in either before or after the wedding and the possibilities of getting a major bond reduction or a PR bond. I believe both attorneys offer free initial consultations. Congratulations on your wedding.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

2. Attorney LeRoi is on point. You are what is proverbially said to have a hobson's choice so to speak. If you surrender immediately then you may not get out soon enough to be at your own wedding. If you wait, it is possible you could be arrested at or just after r your wedding. I trust you have disclosed this information to your going to be husband. Contact a criminal defense attorney for help. I would not place too much credence on probation's estimate on you seeking the Judge after arrest. All the Best

No attorney client or attorney prospective client relationship is established or intended. Contact a local lawyer for specificity as to the facts in your case. This is for general information only and is not legal advice. Check our website for more information as to disclaimers and information herein. I have taken no action on your problem other than to review your question nor have I given any legal advice. I want to confirm that no attorney-client or attorney-prospective client relationship has been created between myself or our firm and you in connection with this matter, and that nothing in this response is legal advice to you. As you may know, the legislature and the courts can and do change the law in ways that may affect the strength or weakness of your case. In addition, the circumstances of your case may change. Because we do not represent you, we cannot keep track of, and inform you about, any change in the law. I must warn you that there are time limits for raising certain claims and defenses. Without taking more time to review your case, this firm nor its attorney (s) can properly advise about those deadlines. You may lose your claims and defenses if they are not filed in court within the time allowed. I suggest that you should retain the services of an attorney as soon as possible. The only way to establish any attorney client relationship with our law firm or any of its attorneys is to execute our Retainer Agreement and payment of our fees. By posting or reviewing our responses you explicitly agree to the disclaimer and terms and conditions under which we respond to questions on Avvo or any other question and answer forums on the internet.

3. I agree with both of the previous posters. Your first step should be to hire an attorney. It seems that from your question, you are concerned that the warrant will be found because you have or will file a marriage license through the DMV. I would say this is not your main concern. IF the warrant is yours (mistakes do happen from time to time), you could be arrested on it at anytime. You do not want that to happen, you do not want to be arrested and then at the mercy of the jail, judge, and having to have family members scrambling to determine bail and/or hire an attorney on your behalf.
    Prepare yourself and make arrangements to surrender yourself on your terms and when you are ready. The best way to minimize this and any potential custody time - hire an attorney.

Disclaimer: The response to this email does not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship. For additional information or a free consultation contact the Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt at (303) 747-4686