I'm getting married and I want to apply for a green card. Do I have to file a 751 form as well as a I-130?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Hello , I read somewhere that besides the I - 130 my finance ( soon to be husband ) , has to file a 751 form because we have not been married for 2 years . Is this true ? Is there anything else we have to file ? I have entered legally , was a student on a F - 1 visa , and have been on OPT for a year .

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Wether you will need to file the I-751 depends on how long you have been married at the time you are granted permanent residence.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. 6

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Based on the information provided in your question, I can only extrapolate that you are definitely confused about the process and need to consult with an immigration attorney. Just to illustrate, those two forms never go together.

    www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell:... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would have to agree with my colleague - you should probably consult with an immigration attorney to have the petition and application reviewed.

    Like my colleague mentioned, the I-751 is used to remove the condition placed on a resident because the marriage is less than 2 years old. This is done within 90 days preceding the 2-year anniversary of the date you were provided with a green card.

    Yes, an I-130 will be necessary for the application once you are married, but you're missing a lot more. I would suggest you either do hours of research, or hire an attorney because this might lead to an RFE (request for evidence) or even a denied application.

    Best of luck on whatever you choose.

    Peter Kyung, Esq.
    Carson & Kyung, A Law Corporation
    2377 Gold Meadow Way, Ste 220
    Gold River, CA 95670
    O: (916) 241-3336 | M: (916) 201-6763 | F: (916) 303-2334
    Website: www.carsonkyung.com

  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In order to qualify for Green Card on the basis of the marriage your process starts with the I-130 “Petition for Alien Relative”, amongst other forms to be filed simultaneously.

    Form I-751 Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence is to be filed within the two years of the marriage from the date of approval. Usually, allowed to file three months prior to the second anniversary of the marriage approval.

    In your case, you need to get marriage approved first with USCIS, if marriage approves you will have conditional green card for two years. You need to file I-751 to remove the conditions at the end of the second anniversary, preferably three months prior to the second anniversary.

    Congratulations and good luck to you.


    Universal Immigration Centers, e-mail: universallawcenters@gmail.com of Steve Kassam 951.566.4050 The statement... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,110 answers this week

3,822 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,110 answers this week

3,822 attorneys answering