I'm filling a i130 Petition for my wife in Pakistan,but she is 17 yrs old is it possible to File her case if she is under 18?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I'm filling a i-130 Petition for my wife in Pakistan...the problem i am facing is her age...she is 17 years old (under 18) and cannot get her Pakistani ID card which is a requirement to file her case...how do i go about this situation...i want her in U.S as soon as possible...Please lemme know the best and fastest way to bring her to the States?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You either wait until she.. ."emancipates", ie. becomes 18, OR you do whatever is necessary for her to obtain an ID in Paki.

    Perhaps with her parents consent and signature she could have an ID issued to her? (In this country when the parents consent to a minor child's marriage, that child becomes an "emancipated" minor and can get married, as well as sponsor a foreign national spouse.)

    They let her marry at 17 but will not issue an national ID card to her??

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, you do not need to send a copy of her ID card to file an I-130.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  3. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Can she get a Pakistani passport?

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  4. Khaja M. Din


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . First off congratulations!!! If you are Islamically married as in according to Sharia law ad you have a “Nikah Nama” and this is the bride’s first marriage, typically her “wakeel” is her father and thus you already have the father’s consent and then you would require the mother’s written consent. With these items, a lawyer would likely be able to demonstrate how this marriage is not against public policy or against local marriage laws (in the jurisdiction where you reside).

    Khaja M. Din, Esq.

    Free Consultation For Your Immigration & Deportation Issues


    Khaja Din is an immigration attorney specializing in deportation defense and the immigration consequences of criminal conduct. He has offices in Chicago, IL and Madison, WI.

    Din | Memmen, Inc.

    Chicago Office
    4518 North Kedzie Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60625

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,040 answers this week

3,063 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,040 answers this week

3,063 attorneys answering