I'm filing an adjustment of status for my husband who's from Belgium. Does he need to go back to Belgium for the interview?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Williamsburg, IA

My husband came here four years ago with a visa waiver. He came here legally but was supposed to leave after three months. Now that we are married we filed an adjustment of status. Will he need to return to Belgium for the immigration interview?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . if he goes outside of the country, he will trigger the 10 year bar. For adjustment of status, if all goes well, it is done inside the US.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I assume you are an USC. Yes he can seek AOS here in the USA. Keep in mind, If the government sends him to court for whatever reason, he will have hard time defending his removal.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He may be able to adjust status in the US.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Leon Versfeld

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

The rule of thumb in US immigration status is:"You can not change status if you are not in status." This means that if your non-immigrant status has expired (i.e. B1-visitor), you can... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,511 answers this week

3,870 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,511 answers this week

3,870 attorneys answering