I'm facing eviction

Asked 11 months ago - Freehold, NJ

I'm currently facing eviction out of my home. I have a court hearing this Friday. When I moved into my apartment I just started a new job and was able to afford rent and everything else, and after a couple of weeks they lowered my pay a lot and that's when trouble came now they let me go last week. Is there anything I can do to stop/prolong the eviction?

1. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

6

Answered . If you have other financial problems, you might consider filing a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy to stop the eviction, but that will only be temporary, not permanent. You need to consult an attorney right away and discuss your specific situation with the attorney.

2. Steven Todd Keppler

5

Answered . Other than a bankruptcy, which is really no solution under the circumstances, you have 2 choices: either you obtain a roommate, or you negotiate with your LL an early termination of the lease to minimize your penalties. If you do get evicted, you might be able to convince a judge to give you an extended time to move out in an orderly fashion. Even so, you're still obligated to continue paying rent.

Your landlord's not at fault here; your finances changed. The LL is entitled to the rent you agreed to pay in your lease.

3. Peter J Weinman

Pro

3

Answered . You could retain counsel, but that's going to cost more money you don't have. In the end, you should find a place you can afford - or someone with whom to share expenses. Good luck.

4. Dwayne M Farnsworth

4

Answered . First, you must ask yourself if you can presently afford to live in this property. If you cannot, then I suggest that you start looking for a temporary place to land until you get back on your feet financially. It pains me to say this, but you describe a situation where the landlord needs to get the property paying again. Maybe you can come to some terms with the landlord to post pone eviction if you pay a certain amount now. If not, then you need to come up with a plan B real soon. I am afraid that filing for bankruptcy might be too rushed and forcing the matter a little strong. I recommend that you get in touch with a NJ bankruptcy attorney first thing Monday morning. Good Luck!