I'm currently on H1B visa in USA. While I'm working in USA, can i be a Board of director for an India based company?

Asked 5 months ago - New York, NY

One of my cousin opened a company in Singapore and he wants me to be part of that and help him to grow this business. While i am working on h1B visa in USA, can i accept either Board of director or VP Business development role in his company? Also, i am not planning to do anything in USA but will might go to India for business work and hope this is allowed. Also in what form i can get compensated back in India as i am not planning to bring anything in USA ? Can someone please answer these queries. Thanks

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Look, you cannot be employed in the USA by any company/person in the USA except your employer. What you do with your life outside the USA is your own business as long as a reasonable person would not be able to perceive such activity as employment in the USA. For specific assessment of your proposed activity hire an immigration attorney, pay for the consultation and learn your answer.

2. Matthew Ian Marks

1

Answered . I would post this question in the immigration board as opposed to the employment board to get better answers.

3. Anu Gupta

Pro

1

Answered . If you meet with anyone in the US to further this company's business, you will have issues. Suggest you discuss this in detail with an attorney before you proceed.

The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.