I'm currently on H1B visa in USA. While I'm working in USA, can i be a Board of director for an India based company?

Asked 5 months ago - New York, NY

One of my cousin opened a company in Singapore and he wants me to be part of that and help him to grow this business. While i am working on h1B visa in USA, can i accept either Board of director or VP Business development role in his company? Also, i am not planning to do anything in USA but will might go to India for business work and hope this is allowed. Also in what form i can get compensated back in India as i am not planning to bring anything in USA ? Can someone please answer these queries. Thanks

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Look, you cannot be employed in the USA by any company/person in the USA except your employer. What you do with your life outside the USA is your own business as long as a reasonable person would not be able to perceive such activity as employment in the USA. For specific assessment of your proposed activity hire an immigration attorney, pay for the consultation and learn your answer.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Matthew Ian Marks

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would post this question in the immigration board as opposed to the employment board to get better answers.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any... more
  3. Anu Gupta


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you meet with anyone in the US to further this company's business, you will have issues. Suggest you discuss this in detail with an attorney before you proceed.

    The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,637 answers this week

3,110 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,637 answers this week

3,110 attorneys answering